Friday, March 14, 2008

26 and counting...

It's my birthday. Yipee :) I am 26 today, but I feel like I should be 76. ha ha. In honor of my 26 years of life, I am going to write 26 things I'm thankful for right now. And I'm feeling very reflective, so it will probably be long-winded. ha ha.
  1. My testimony. Definitely the thing that has made this last year bearable.
  2. Taylen. She makes me laugh every day, and tells me she loves me, and gives me a reason to get out of bed each morning and put on a happy face.
  3. Ryah Bear. She is such a sweet baby, and I am so thankful that she came to our family. She has been (and will continue to be) a huge blessing in Taylen's life...as Tay is getting passed around to daycare, and my house and Brad's house, she doesn't have to do it alone. She's got her Bryah with her. They will always have each other. I am so so thankful for that.
  4. Makeup. I like to feel cute. I can't do it without cosmetics. ha ha.
  5. My parents. It has been very difficult for them to watch me go through this, and not being able to take it away from me. I appreciate their love and them stepping back and allowing me to deal with this how I choose to deal with it, and not how they think I should deal with it.
  6. Tanning. I know this is superficial. Superficially fabulous!! When I was in college I would go tanning when I had a bad day, but I stopped doing it as much once I got married (being pregnant and tanning doesn't really mix). I don't go often, but I love it when I do.
  7. My hot sisters. I love my sisters so much. We always have a ridiculous amount of fun together, and every time we hang out we are laughing and being pretty obnoxious. If any of you know us, you'll know that's actually a huge understatement. I can't think of anyone I'd rather hang out with than them. They are all above and beyond beautiful, and ridiculously smart. I learn things from each of them, and I am proud to be their sister.
  8. Toothpaste. I can't stand not brushing my teeth. I literally can't sleep if I don't do it.
  9. My patriarchal blessing. I have read it countless times the past few months, and the blessings and promises are unbelievably comforting.
  10. My bachelor's degree. My life has taken a turn I never thought it would, and I am so thankful I have a degree under my belt. GO TO SCHOOL. GET EDUCATED. You never know what life is going to throw at you, prepare yourself.
  11. Music. Sad, happy, angry. Music has been a haven for me.
  12. My car. My Avalon got "voluntarily repossesed." Basically, I called Toyota and said that I couldn't make the payments anymore, so they came and picked it up. My parents found a way to get me a 99 Mitsubishi Galant, and every time I get into it I say a little thank you prayer. It runs great, it could be way uglier, and I don't have a monthly payment. Fab.
  13. My cell phone. We take them for granted, but could you live without yours?
  14. Dr. Pepper. Basically I'm addicted to it, and it makes me happy :)
  15. My job. HUGE BLESSING. I got my first paycheck today...YIPEE!! It's not a lot, but it's a heck of a lot more than I've been getting the past little while :)
  16. Chapstick. Can't live without it.
  17. Photo albums. I love looking at old pictures. They remind me that I used to have game. ha ha.
  18. My friends and neighbors. There have been a handful of friends that have really gone above and beyond and have been huge blessings to me. I have zero family up here, but there honestly has not been a single day that I just felt alone. To name a few...Kristin Hinson has me over for dinner almost every Sunday. Jen Perrow has me over for dinner on the random sundays I'm not at the Hinsons. Tiffani Morgan has made me dinner a few times. Leslie Groff drops off goodies on my doorstep. Jennifer Penney, Jeannie Retamal, Kari Stacy, Sarah Bartlett, Heidi Hage, Leslie Ashby, Cathi Bitter, and countless others who make it a point to ask how I'm doing, sit by me at church, give me a random phone call, and just keep up on what's going on in my life. Even if I don't always call you back, or reply to your comments on my blog, I really appreciate all the support and love I feel from each of you. I'm sure you'll never know how much it means to me.
  19. Facebook. Haha. Geeby, I know. But I've reconnected with a bunch of old friends I would have otherwise probably never heard from again.
  20. DVR. Honestly, I never watch live TV anymore. I love that I can watch my couple shows whenever I get time...even if that's Saturday night :)
  21. My BYU roommies. We lived together all four years of college, and I love all of them! No matter how long it's been since we've seen each other, we fall right back into being best friends when we're together. We had fun times, and sad times, and mean times, and I learned and grew more during those four years than probably at any other point in my life (until now, ha ha:). I'm excited for our reunion in May!!
  22. My long hair. Sounds weird, but I've been growing my hair out forever, and I've hated it forever, and it's finally gotten to a point that I can do it and actually like it. Yipee!
  23. My grandparents. They send me emails, or phone calls, and just let me know they're thinking about me. I have good relationships with both sets of grandparents, and that is something I have always been very thankful for.
  24. The Temple. It just puts things in perspective, and brings a very real peace.
  25. Ms. Gina. She is Taylen and Ryah's daycare provider, and I really like her. I feel like I was sort of led to her, and feeling comfortable dropping my kids off with her each day is a very real blessing.
  26. My positive attitude. I have always thought of myself as a positive person, but I've never really had anything to not be positive about. It is amazing to me that I am so peaceful about everything right now, and that I really am happy despite the craziness that is my life at the moment. I know that the ability to be positive through this trial comes from something greater than myself.

Here's to a great day, and to a happy year ahead!! Leave me some love...

30 comments:

cami said...

Happy Birthday Nikki! You don't know me, but I live in your townhome in Rexburg and have become good friends with Jenny. I found you off of her blog, and I just wanted to tell you that I think you're beautiful, and you seem like an amazing woman. I'm sorry you're going through tough times, but you seem to have a good head on your shoulders and a great attitude. Your girls are just as beautiful as their mommy! I really hope you enjoy your b-day!

Take care,
Cami

Amber said...

Happy Birthday!! Good for you for doing this post. You look so beautiful & seriously have the most beautiful eyes. Keep smiling!

Cardon Family said...

Happy Birthday! Can I just tell you that you are such an example to me?! Well, you are....and you are one of the most amazing woman that I know. Just thought I would tell you...and a little side note...are you still renting that townhome up in Rexburg? or did it sell? We sold ours almost a year ago, but I was just curious!

Wilder Family said...

Ok I tried to leave you a comment earlier and I accidently sent it twice and then it didnt work...so hopefully you don't get the same comment 3 times. Anyways, Happy birthday, hope you have a great one! You are so positive, I definately need to be more positive, it is my new years resolution!

The Yeamans said...

Nik! I just called you to leave a little birthday love and thought I would check to see if your blog had any updates! This is the perfect update for such a special day! Make this day yours and have a great one! I am thinking about you, sending you birthday wishes and know that I love you! Muah!
xoxox
PS I have really cute pictures of Tay and Guinnie...whats the best way to get them to you??

nicole aka gidget said...

Happy Birthday Nikki! I'm glad to see you so strong and upbeat despite everything hard in your life. I'm sure you have your moments, but you never did seem like the kind of girl who let circumstances get her down. :) Have a great day with your sweet daughters!

Requel said...

Happy birthday!! You look awesome! You are so strong and amazing. i love you outlook on life. Things will get better.

Requel said...

I just read Rachels blog...did you break Brads leg???

Suz said...

Nikki, I thought about you first thing this morning and am hoping you have a fun day! I miss you tons and can't wait to see you again in May! You are one amazing woman...Love you bunches!

-Suz

Judy said...

Happy Birthday Nikki!!! I hope you have a great day. I loved your 26 things you are grateful for. I admire your positive attitude and ability to look at the blessings God has given to you despite the challenges and trials you have had to face. You are such a great person. I wish the very best for you. Give the girls a big hug and kiss from their Aunt Jenn.

Julia Kelly said...

oh, i loved this post. You are such a beautiful person...beautiful inside and beautiful outside. I'm so happy that we met and became friends while i lived in California for a short while. You are loved!

Neese Family said...

Happy Happy Birthday Nikki! You are so young! I am happy you have so many things to celebrate! You are one of the most positive people that I know! I hope your year takes you to the happiest of days! What sweet girls you have! Give them extra kisses today! Love ya tons!

The Elmers said...

Happy Birthday!! What an awesome top 26! Maybe we'll see ya at church...if my kids decide to quit catching every sickness known to mankind! Hope your day was awesome!!

Megan said...

Happy birthday Nikki! I hope it was a good one! You deserve it!

Anonymous said...

What a great outlook Nikki. You sound like you are not only surviving, but you are able to enjoy the nice things that life has to offer. I am glad that you are able to recognize what a blessing children can be when times are hard...yes they can be a burden at times, but they are mostly a blessing. Happy B-day...and girl you still have game.

The Richards said...

Happy Birthday! I'm so with you on the tanning thing! I don't know why it is, but it just seems to make the day better! Like you though I haven't been forever because babies and tanning don't mix, but I do miss it!! You do have the most positive attitude! Life always seems better when you just keep smiling, and tanning!!

MILLER MANIA said...

Happy birthday Nikki, I want you to know how much I love you, you are truly an amazing person and a wonderful example to me. I love reading your blog, you are so amazing. I wish I got to see you more, it would be nice to have a friend like you around me to keep me in line. I tend to stray every once and a while and good friends are hard to come by these days. Just know that I think of you always and pray for you and your little family every day. Best wishes to you and your life...you'll be fine. Good people like you always are blessed by his love. Love you lots Heather Miller (Virgin) in Rexburg!

Leslie said...

Happy Birthday Nikki! What a great way to share 26 blessings in your life. Thanks for counting me as one. Have a great day and we'll see you soon!

Tashina said...

Nikki,
This is Tashina. I met you once a few years ago. I've known the Crandalls for several years. I saw your blog on Rachels blog. I hope you don't mind me leaving you a message. I just had to let you know how inspiring you are. I have been through a lot lately a felt much heartache. You have such an amazing outlook on life. Thank you for your wonderful example. Life really is good and we have so much to be thankful for! By the way your daughters are adorable.

Shaunte' said...

Happy Birthday, Nikki. You and Carter have the same birthday. You amaze with how you really think about and appreciate the blessings in your life, even when life is hard.

Loren said...

Happy Birthday Nikki! You are truly amazing and are an example to me. You are so positive and even through the worst of time, always seem to be able to find things to be grateful for. Thanks for sharing this with us.

Kristin said...

I loved your 26 things and as I read them out loud to Neal, he just had to read them too! I have told you this before, and I really mean it when I say that it is just as beneficial for me to have you guys over! I LOVE spending time with you, and Millie adores Taylen, so it just makes sense to have you over as often as possible! You probably get sick of me calling, but sorry girl, you will keep on hearing from me! Because I LOVE you and love having you for a friend!

Cathi said...

Wow, that was so uplifting! I am certain that you were put where you are now for a purpose and one of those purposes is to inspire ME! (And many others I suppose.) When you were doing Song practice in RS (the 2nd time:) I wasn't really paying too much attention to the singing. I was just in awe of your poise and beauty. Sound cheezy? Well, you are one of the most beautiful people I have ever come across, both on the outside and on the inside. Just when I think you have put the cherry on your ice cream sundae full of talents, you go and add another topping!! I honestly kept thinking to myself on Sunday, while watching you so confidently talk about musical jargon that I couldn't understand, "How could any warm blooded man let that amazing woman go?" You inspire me to be a better person, I truly look up to you! Thanks for the reminder list of the little things to be be grateful for! Yahoo for Makeup!

brooke said...

Nikki...I hope you are doing well. I'm so happy to see that you are so positive and upbeat through all you're going through. You've always been an amazing person ever since I've known you (hello? We played when we were in grade school!)

brooke said...

Nikki...I hope you are doing well. I'm so happy to see that you are so positive and upbeat through all you're going through. You've always been an amazing person ever since I've known you (hello? We played when we were in grade school!)

The Mortimer's said...

Nikki, I hope you had a wonderful Birthday! You are such a strong and beautiful person! Thanks for your top 26!

Tara Lynn said...

nikki, you are amazing and beautiful...inside and out! keep smiling. :)

..Kris Naven.. said...

Happy Birthday! I am a March baby too! We are the best! Lol! I just wanted to let you know that I admire you and your strength, you are incredible! Love to you and your girls!

Love Always,
Kris

Liz said...

What a great idea for your birthday! You are a sweetie and a pretty one too. I was thinking I might try coming up with 57 things I'm thankful for on my birthday, but I would get to about 15 and forget what I was doing. Keep up the good job. Your daughters are precious and I know with your love and devotion they will be fine. I had to work when the kids were little and They don't even remember me being gone. I'm so glad Suz got to come see you, she had a wonderful time. HAPPY BIRTHDAY !!! You are amazing. Love, Suz's Mom

Rita said...

Love love love you comments.
I notice that make up is #4 and parents are #5. I'm not offended as I am tempted to put creme brulee before my children:)
mom