Friday, October 5, 2007

San Diego Update

So, some of you know that I've been in San Diego for the past month. My mom was recently diagnosed with cancer in her colon and is undergoing chemo and radiation, so I've been down here to help drive her to appoinments and clean the house and distract her with my two very busy children. She just finished her first round of chemo, and man that stuff is nasty! She felt pretty good the first couple of days, and then hit rock bottom pretty quickly. Throwing up, extremely tired, the skin on her tongue is practically peeling off...okay, maybe that was too much info, but I am just really feeling for her. She's not feeling the effects of the radiation yet, but it will start to hit her in the next week or so. Anyway, she's done with chemo now for three weeks, and then does another round of it. Those of you that know her, keep her in your thoughts and prayers...the worst is yet to come for her. Anyway, I'm not sure how long I'll be down here helping. Having 2 babies to take care of sort of limits my helpfulness, anyway, and once we become more of a pain than a help, we'll be heading back to Sacramento. So, there ya go. Sorry if I haven't been returning phone calls or emails...this whole experience has sort of made me antisocial. Anyway, that's the update for those of you who were wondering...

11 comments:

Leslie said...

I'll be praying for your mom...I hope that all goes well. Chemo is horrible. Take Care!

Morph This said...

Nikki- This is so sad to hear about your mom. I will seriously be praying for her.
I would love to see you if you are going to be around for awhile. I can totally come down and meet you for lunch or take your munchkins for an afternoon if you need to do some stuff with your mom. Just let me know. Oh it breaks my heart to hear this. Give her a big hug.

Tiffani said...

I am glad that you are able to be there to offer support and help during this challenging time. I'll keep her in my prayers.

Cardon Family said...

That is nice that you have been able to be there to help out with your mom. That must be tough to watch, I can only imagine. At least you are close by.

Julia Kelly said...

I wish I could be there to help too...or at least watch Taylen and Ryah. Glad that your mom made it through the first week of chemo. Chemo really is aweful!! When my sister got done with her chemo and radiation we went to Hawaii to celebrate. I was lucky and got to tag along too. It helped to have something fun to look forward to. Anyways...miss you tons, your family will be in my prayers!

Amanda said...

Nikki- I do not know your mom but she is in my prayers. I think your so strong for going and helping her through this tough time. I will keep you in my prayers as well. Please let me know if there is anything I can do when you get back to Sacramento.

Chris said...

Nikki and Family - Just wanted you to know that we are also thinking of your Family - Much Love - Chris
Tell your Mom I love her!

April said...

Hope that all goes well. We'll keep her in our prayers. Scott will give Brad a call to see if he wants to hang out sometime. Let me know if you need anything!

Requel said...

Nikki, I'm so sorry to hear about your Mom. I'm sure she appreciates you being there to help her through this. And I'm sure her grand babies are a great disstraction and a huge blessing to her right now. Take care.

Anonymous said...

We wanted to send you our thoughts and let you know your mom and your whole family will be in our prayers. Chemo and radiation are no fun at all - but coming from experience, know that it will end and it does get better. We honestly feel like this will always be one of our best years and feel blessed at all the good that has come to us. Stay happy - it really does help!

Amy Marie said...

Oh my gosh Nikki... I'm so sorry to hear that!!! oh my gosh! Please tell her how much I love her and I'm praying for her...

Love,
Amy Earnest.