Wednesday, June 11, 2008

For Erik and Emily

The Rudy Family: Erik, Emily, Mason, Milo
Taken this past weekend

One of Brad's best friends from his college days, Erik Rudy, passed away last night. I worked with Erik the summer I met Brad, and always enjoyed his sense of humor (it was definitely needed that summer, eh SafeStone friends?). He used to tell me funny stories about his son Mason (who was not quite 2 at the time, I think), and I just enjoyed working with him. Anyway, Erik has been fighting leukemia for a year and a half. He underwent chemo/radiation three times, and a bone marrow transplant, and has been in remission for about the last year (I think). He received the crummy news last week that the cancer had returned, and there was not much they could do about it. Doctors gave him a timeline of a few days to a few weeks. And last night, about a week after he got the news, he passed away.

The news that Erik's cancer had returned is what prompted my crummy life post a couple days ago. I keep in touch with Emily here and there through blogging and facebook and we are not super close, but this has hit me really hard. I think things like this really make you evaluate your life, and wake you up to things you should be doing differently.

Emily and I have emailed back and forth a couple of times, and I am impressed by her strength and testimony that she has shared with me. I am thankful for her example, and her positive attitude during this terribly difficult time in her life.

On her blog she wrote, "I know I've already said this, but I'm really going to miss him." I'm sure this is the biggest understatement of her life right now, and the simplicity and honesty of this statement brings tears to my eyes every time I think about it.

There is heartbreak and sadness everywhere you turn. Isn't it comforting to know that no matter how heavy it gets, we do not have to bear it alone...
Emily, Mason & Milo, you are in my thoughts and prayers.
FLB reunion, this past weekend.
(Thanks, Heidi, for the pictures. )

7 comments:

Requel said...

Nikki I love that you did this. It is so nice. FLB....aha hahah, I love that! This makes me think about SafeStone so much and all the fun times I shared with all of these guys minus the one with the beard. Who is that? I am so sad for Emily and her little boys. They are going to grow up with out their Dad. I'm glad his sister is putting that book of thoughts together. At least the boys will always have that to remind them of their Daddy. Thanks Nikki, that was awesome.

Nikki (Have Joy) said...

Haha. That's James Fairbanks. He didn't jump on the summer sales bandwagon.

Neese Family said...

I am sorry to hear about your friend Nikki! It gives you a little check on how much love you are sharing with those around you, because you would never want them or you to leave without an understanding of how important they are to you or how much they are loved by you! Sometimes thinking about waiting to see the poeple we love until we have passed on seems so far away!

Julia Kelly said...

Nikki, i'm so blown away by you!! seriously!! thanks for your friendship and thanks for sharing your life's experiences.

Leslie said...

That is a sad story. It looks like a happy reunion of friends that will be treasured long after his passing.

Hope you are ok!

Jessica said...

Nikki I wanted to cry when I read your post today. Having watched my own father lose his battle with leukemia I can understand what this family will go through. My heart is saddest for those little boys because they are so young. They are about the same age Heidi was when my dad passed. It was so hard for her because she didn't remember a lot. It is good that his sister will put together memories of him for the boys. Hopefully she can include memories about him with the boys. I wrote down a bunch of memories I had of Heidi and my dad and gave them to her. That meant so much to her because she has hardly any memories of her own. I will keep this young mother and her beautiful boys in my prayers.

Karli said...

i'm so sorry for your friends. cancer is the meanest thing. i am especially sorry for those little boys..their mom will have a big job of telling them all about him. it sounds like she is amazing and strong...she is in my prayers. hope you're doing okay nikki.
karli