Saturday, January 17, 2009

May We Stand Still

I was talking to a friend of mine last week about my life, and how crazy and overwhelming it can be at times. He told me to go look up a scripture, which I swear I have never read before, but it was highlighted when I opened to it, so apparently I just have a bad memory.

It is now my current favorite scripture.

Doctrine and Covenants, section 123, verse 17:
"Let us cheerfully do all things that lie in our power; and then may we stand still."
Short little guy (the scripture, not my friend). Lots of good stuff in there (the scripture AND my friend :). First of all, the word "cheerfully." I love that word! There is such a big difference in doing all things and in cheerfully doing all things.
And I just love being reminded that once I do all I can do--everything in my power--I need to be still. When we are still we can feel the spirit. When we are still we can see things from a more eternal perspective. So stop worrying! Stop stressing about the details! (Says Nikki, Reigning Stress-Yourself-To-Death Queen.) Do what you can, and let the Lord take care of the rest. Hey, that doesn't mean we get a free ride. "All things that lie in our power" are a lot of things! And the Lord expects us to do our part. Like in this quote:
..
Together you and the Lord can move mountains. But don't be suprised if He hands you the shovel.
..
And once you've done all the digging you can do, and are covered in dirt, and sweat, and blood, and probably tears, and you've dropped the shovel on your foot, and your toe is broken, and a passing bird has done it's business on your head... you can trust that it will all work out.
.
Even if it doesn't work out the way you've planned.
.
Especially if it doesn't work out the way you've planned.
.
I'll take His plan over my plan any day. I've just gotta keep digging...
.
Cheerfully. :)

5 comments:

Julia Kelly said...

I hope you don't mind, but I would love to share some of this in my YW lesson on Sunday? Love the scripture. And love your insight.

Loren said...

great scripture and a great reminder!! thanks for that!

Kari said...

Thanks Nikki for sharing that. You make me smile!

The Dobrons said...

Love that. I don't remember reading that myself?! I think that's a great family motto. It would be a great quote for the kids to grow up reading on the wall. Thanks for the inspiration.

Cardalls said...

I am a lurker and somehow stumbled upon your blog and now I'm hooked :). You are a fantastic writer and an even better person. I have a lot of admiration for you. You probably have seen this story before, but a good friend of mine who is enduring terrible challenges uses this story often in talks to groups of women.

http://lds.about.com/library/weekly/aa100702a.htm