Saturday, November 8, 2008

Thoughts on 8

So.

Prop 8.

Pretty big news, in case you weren't aware.

I have got to say that I have been shocked at the way people on both sides of the vote have behaved concerning this issue. I have had conversations with people on the Yes side that have left me feeling angry and embarrassed by their ignorant and condescending attitude.

I have read articles like this one that show very clearly how hate and intolerance are just as real from the No side.

I have seen protests and commercials as described in this article that show how the Mormon church is being targeted for its contribution to the Yes on 8 campaign. We have been accused of being bigots. We have been accused of hate. We have been accused of intolerance.

And it's just downright not true.

The truth of the matter is that the way Prop 8 was set up forced us (as LDS people) to make a choice between our own religious rights, and the rights of homosexuals. And in the same way, it forced homosexuals to make a choice between their rights and someone else's religious rights. There was not a way for my rights and their rights to be equally preserved. And so I voted for mine, and they voted for theirs. It was not a matter of hate or intolerance.

In fact, the LDS church made a statement on November 5 clearly stating that the church believes that gay and lesbian couples should have equal rights. The fact that we believe that the word MARRIAGE defines the relationship between a man and a woman does not mean that we believe in oppressing others. In the church's response (found here at ldsliving.org) is the following paragraph:

Allegations of bigotry or persecution made against the Church were and are simply wrong. The Church’s opposition to same-sex marriage neither
constitutes nor condones any kind of hostility toward gays and lesbians. Even more, the Church does not object to rights for same-sex couples regarding hospitalization and medical care, fair housing and employment rights, or probate rights, so long as these do not infringe on the integrity of the traditional family or the constitutional rights of churches.


Finding that balance between my rights and your rights, his rights and her rights, the rights of the mother and the rights of the unborn child, the rights of the individual and the rights of the government, has been and will continue to be a major part of democracy. I want to make sure my rights are preserved, just as you want to make sure yours are. And we all have the opportunity to make our voices heard. It is unfortunate that the voices of opposing sides tend to be silenced by ignorance and hatred.

As most of you know, I recently began a Master's program in Marital and Family Therapy. It's safe to say that I am absolutely in the minority when it comes to politics and religious beliefs. Wednesday night I sat in class listening to a roomful of students (including a gay man) and my lesbian professor talking about how despicable it was that Prop 8 passed. I did not volunteer my opinion, until my professor asked me to share my thoughts. I really can't explain how intimidating it was to sit in a room full of my peers who vehemently disagreed with Prop 8 and look my lesbian professor in the eye and tell them I voted yes. I told them that I believe that same sex couples should have equal rights, but that I believe marriage is ordained of God and is between one man and one woman. They respectfully asked me questions about my faith, about the Church's beliefs about God and modern day prophets.

And then something beautiful happened. We understood each other in a deeper way. We recognized that there could be mutual respect for each other, though our beliefs are very different. We connected on a human level, the level that in each of us really craves acceptance.

And that, my friends, is the true meaning of tolerance...

16 comments:

Suz said...

Well said, Nik. I didn't get to vote on the issue, but this has been such a heated topic here because of the church's stance and the attack on Utah for helping support the cause (in addition to the fact that I have two homosexual cousins in California that I love dearly and want to be happy and enjoy equal rights.)

I just don't understand why people can't understand the INTENT behind the yes vote (protecting religious freedoms and personal right) instead of the ACTION of a yes vote (which seems to be a vote against gays.) Voting for traditional marriage does not mean that you are voting against homosexuals, is means you are voting for your own rights. Big difference.

I'm not worried one bit about you standing up for yourself and for the church.

Love ya! I'm bummed I missed you. Hope all is well.

brooke said...

Beautifully put Nikki. I am so glad that you wrote this. It gave me even more insight and confirmed my ever strong feelings regarding the love for gays/lesbians that I do have, despite my devotion to my beliefs. Awesome post!

Anonymous said...

Very eloquently said - I'm glad there are people like you out there representing the LDS church! --Lissy

Unknown said...

Too bad that intelligence and open minds don't span the nation wide. All it takes is for each side to REALLY listen to each other. What a wonderful though scary experience for you.

Anonymous said...

It is refreshing to see a message of tolerance in this world. God is the only one who is allowed to judge!

The Dobrons said...

Beautifully put. Way to stand up for what you really feel. Your courage allowed so many to understand how so many of us feel.

..Kris Naven.. said...

I can't believe all the craziness that is still going on with this! What a uncomfortable situation for you to be in, and you are so awesome for standing up for what you beleive in. Thank you!

Anonymous said...

Beautiful post, Nik.

Kristin said...

Nikki, you have a way with words. If only I could find the same way to get through to my friend. Just understanding, I don't expect him to agree with me. He just assumes that my "yes" intentions were all about taking his rights away which is equal to hate and intolerance in his eyes. If only he could see into my heart. He wrote me one more letter the day before election day. I have not responded, I think I might give him some time. Thanks again Nikki! We need to hang out soon!

Anonymous said...

How brave of you to stand up for what you believe in. It can be really scary and intimdating. It's refreshing to find people that still do...even when it is easier not to!

Anonymous said...

This was an email I recieved...

Thank you Judith. This factual and unemotional account of what has been accomplished in the period of about three months is inspiring. I have heard several times that the Prop 8 grass campaign is the largest one launched in the history of America. I am sure you join me in expressing humble gratitude to the countless people from all faiths and cultures who worked shoulder to shoulder to save traditional marriage.

Boyd

IF YOU ARE PLANNING ON WRITING A LETTER TO THE EDITOR CONCERNING THE
RECENT RIOTS AND DEMONSTRATIONS, THE FACTS INCLUDED IN THIS FORWARD LETTER WOULD BE WELL INCLUDED.

"And ye shall be hated of all men for my name's sake: but he that
endureth to the end shall be saved" (Matthew 10:22). "And blessed are all they who are persecuted for my name's sake, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven"
(3 Nephi 12:10).

Apparently the following was written by a member of the Newbury Park stake:

Dear Friends,

In the aftermath of the recent election, we may find ourselves oddly on the defensive regarding our support for the Yes on Proposition 8 cause. Our young people have been especially subject to mean spirited comments by high school friends and teachers. We have nothing to be ashamed of. We did nothing wrong. In fact, we did everything that a civic minded American can and should do. I have put together a few facts that help me to appreciate our position better.

For example:

1. Mormons make up less than 2% of the population of California. There
are approximately 800,000 LDS out of a total population of approximately 34 million.

2. Mormon voters were less than 5% of the yes vote. If one estimates
that 250,000 LDS are registered voters (the rest being children), then LDS voters made up 4.6% of the Yes vote and 2.4% of the total Proposition 8 vote.

3.The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (Mormons) donated
no money to the Yes on 8 campaign. Individual members of the Church were encouraged to support the Yes on 8 efforts and, exercising their
constitutional right to free speech, donated whatever they felt like donating.

4. The No on 8 campaign raised more money than the Yes on 8 campaign. Unofficial estimates put No on 8 at $38 million and Yes on 8at $32 million, making it the most expensive non-presidential election in the country.

5. Advertising messages for the Yes on 8 campaign are based on case
law and real-life situations. The No on 8 supporters have insisted that the Yes on 8 messaging is based on lies. Every Yes on 8 claim is supported.

6. The majority of our friends and neighbors voted Yes on 8. Los
Angeles County voted in favor of Yes on 8. Ventura County voted in favor of Yes on 8.

7. African Americans overwhelmingly supported Yes on 8. Exit polls show that 70% of Black voters chose Yes on 8. This was interesting because the majority of these voters voted for President-elect Obama. No on 8
supporters had assumed that Obama voters would vote No on 8.

8. The majority of Latino voters voted Yes on 8. Exit polls show
that the majority of Latinos supported Yes on 8 and cited religious beliefs(assumed to be primarily Catholic).

9. The Yes on 8 coalition was a broad spectrum of religious
> organizations. Catholics, Evangelicals, Protestants, Orthodox Jews, Muslims - all supported Yes on 8. It is estimated that there are 10
million Catholics and 10 million Protestants in California. Mormons were a tiny fraction of the population represented by Yes on 8 coalition members.

10. Not all Mormons voted in favor of Proposition 8.Our faith
accords that each person be allowed to choose for him or her self. Church leaders have asked members to treat other members with "civility, respect and
love," despite their differing views.

11. The Church did not violate the principal of separation of church
and state. This principle is derived from the First Amendment to the United States Constitution, which reads, "Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof ..."
The phrase "separation of church and state", which does not
appear in the Constitution itself, is generally traced to an 1802 letter by Thomas Jefferson, although it has since been quoted in several opinions handed down
by the United States Supreme Court in recent years. The LDS Church is
under no obligation to refrain from participating in the political process, to the extent permitted by law. U.S. election law is very clear that churches
may not endorse candidates, but may support issues. The Church has always been very careful on this matter and occasionally (not often) chooses to support causes that it feels to be of a moral nature.

12.Supporters of Proposition 8 did exactly what the Constitution
provides for all citizens: they exercised their First Amendment rights to speak out on an issue that concerned them, make contributions to a cause that they support, and then vote in the regular electoral process. For
the most part, this seems to have been done in an open, fair, and civil way. Opponents of 8 have accused supporters of being bigots, liars, and worse. The fact is, we simply did what Americans do - we spoke up, we campaigned,
and we voted.

Hold your heads up high - you did a great job on this most important
cause. We will have more opportunities in the future to participate in our democratic process. Let's remember the lessons learned and do an even
better job next time.

These are my personal opinions and thoughts; any errors are mine and in no way reflect official Church policy or doctrine.

Kerry said...

I agree, thank you!

Suz said...

I'm stealing those points from above for a Facebook post.

Thank you!

Anonymous said...

An additional note to the NO on 8 funding. 20% of that 38 Mill was raised from a state outside California; while 30% of that 38 Million was raised from INTERNATIONAL!!!!!! DONORS!!!!! International Donors playing a major funding role in California's State Constitution.

*BRAD*

Kaela Cusack said...

Thank you so much for your commentS! I've been frustrated as an LDS person IN Utah, who #1, can't vote on Prop 8 anyway, #2 feel similarly to you, that they should have equal rights, but not necessarily the word 'marriage', and #3, am disgusted at the misconceptions and rampant rumors about what prop 8 is REALLY about. Thank you for your honesty and integrity at presenting the TRUTH of the matter. It's about respect and understanding, not about hate, bigotry, lack of inclusion, or forcing beliefs on others. I understand what it feels like to be in the minority! Thank you so much.

Julia Kelly said...

thanks for this post Nikki. I feel like I understand prop 8 better now. I enjoyed reading all the comments as well.